Thursday, January 1, 2015

Thoughts on Time, the Past Year, and the New Year...

I've been thinking a lot about time lately, mainly due to:
1. The new year;
2. Surfaced emotions from reading meditations on time from Alan Lightman's Einstein's Dreams and a fictional story on the value of time through Mitch Albom's The Time Keeper;
3. Our endless pursuit for more time to do the stuff that keep us up at night; and,
4. An overthinking mind.

To be honest, it's fun to reflect on the past year - how I acted in relation to others, how I spent my time. It's also fun to make new resolutions, or probably recycle failed ones from previous years, in time for the new year. I think it makes us feel driven with purpose - tricking ourselves into thinking that we are trying to do something with the time we're given.

Random thoughts on time aside, I can honestly say that 2014 was a blast! It was the year...
... I let go of something I tried so hard to hold on to...
... I traveled most independently...
... I embarked on fresh paths...
... I tried a lot of new things and probably accepted more of myself in the process.

If there's one thing I learned in 2014, it's to just let go, have fun, and savor a moment. I know a lot of us are chasing time with deadlines and what-not, but being fully present in a single moment beats having to chase down a string of blurry moments just to not miss out on anything. Because in doing the chasing, we actually miss out on everything else without us knowing it.

Just to wrap this up, it has truly been a blessing to have shared my journey in 2014 with everyone. I wish you all a great start and a wonderful journey in 2015! Cheers to a blessed and prosperous new year!


"We all yearn for what we have lost. But sometimes, we forget what we have."
- The Time Keeper, Mitch Albom


No comments: