Tuesday, September 10, 2013

[Slow Down Challenge Day 2: Savor] Conversations

[This is part 2 of a series of 5 where I deliberately slow myself down amidst the hustle and bustle of the workplace. I'm taking this as a challenge to experience my surroundings more. Learn more about it HERE via Jeff Goins.]

How many times this week have you engaged a person in conversation? And I mean a real conversation wherein you forget everything on your to-do list and just connect to the person in front of you. I'd say there's a high probability that the answer is less than 3. We often get caught up in the business of our lives that we forget to stay in the now and relish the moment.

I regularly have my morning coffee, sometimes breakfast, at the office with some of my colleagues. In an attempt to be productive and finish off tasks from my to-do list, I often bring my laptop with me. I forget how to savor my meal. But in reality, I only lie to myself because I don't really get much work done anyway. Plus, I don't get to enjoy my food and the company as much.

Deliberately slowing down, I had the chance to have conversations with colleagues today. It reminded me how refreshing and inspiring small chats with other people can be. Also, nothing really beats the camaraderie built while sharing a meal together.

No comments: