Friday, September 28, 2012

"The Perks of Being a Wallflower"

*Google Images

I think I've been blogging about this novel a lot now. This time, however, I'm blogging about the movie! Yey! I just came home from the movies. Haha!

Anyway, having read the book before watching the movie, it was hard not to compare them both. There were slight differences, but the movie stayed true to the book. It was good the author Stephen Chbosky wrote the screenplay adaptation and directed the film.

There are two key differences I want to point out between the book and the movie, correct me if I'm wrong. One, Candace, Charlie's sister, didn't get pregnant in the film. Two, the novel had a lot more room for character development for all the supporting characters. I'm not saying any of these differences are bad. I think these made both the novel and the movie work better.

The novel tells the story in a personal way. It was like the reader was seeing everything Charlie was seeing, which drives the reader to empathize with the main character while "experiencing" everything Charlie observes. This way, we see everything Charlie thinks of each and every one of the characters. The movie, on the other hand, focused more on the development of Charlie's persona. I think this suited the movie well. Charlie was made really lovable and relatable, but at the same time, having that high school angst in him.

The movie was heavy to watch, as was the novel. No wonder it got an R rating at first. What moved me most is the actors. They all did splendid jobs in portraying their characters, especially Logan Lerman (Charlie), Emma Watson (Sam), and Ezra Miller (Patrick). I think if the characters were played by "lesser" actors, the characters wouldn't have the same effect.

I recommend this movie to everyone, especially young adults and professionals. I know the setting of the movie is in high school and the high school theme just seems overrated; however, trust me when I say that the themes in this movie carry a heavy weight in them. 5 stars and a two-thumbs up! :)

Lines from the movie:
"I swear we were infinite." - Charlie

"We accept the love we think we deserve." - Bill

"Even if we don't have the power to choose where we come from, we can still choose where we go from there." - Doctor

No comments: