Monday, November 14, 2011

Book Signing...



I just came home from Powerbooks after accidentally attending a book signing event. A throng of people sat in the event waiting for the panel discussion to start, so I stayed and listened to the author speak. After browsing through his 2008 Pulitzer Prize for Fiction Winning novel, The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao, and listening to his insights, I decided to buy his book and let him sign it. :))

I agree with his insights about books. Readers are different and they would take in a book differently from one another based on how they go about the novel and what their backgrounds are. A writer may even write a simple story that readers may construe as having a deeper meaning when in fact audiences just read too much into the story line. I adore the author with his stance on writing about his own culture, being Dominican-American himself. I always thought that writers should write something close to their hearts in order to convey an honest and heart-warming prose.

So, kudos to Mr. Junot Diaz! I am excited to read his book when I get some leisure time amidst my hectic last semester in Ateneo.

P.S. This is my first-ever signed book. :)) Just sharing. :D

P.S.S. The second picture is blurry because the hand of the person taking the picture was shaking while taking the picture. I'm actually pissed right now. Anyone who can edit this picture? :)

P.S.S.S. This would probably be the last tangible book that I would buy before I get my Kindle Touch. :))