Thursday, June 30, 2011

Success: What Really Counts?

We are in the process of discussing Aristotle's Nicomachean Ethics and I'm really intrigued and interested in the subject matter (even though I constantly keep on dozing off in class because of lack of sleep :>). Nichomachean Ethics is trying to address the question on what all humans' end goal is - happiness. But what exactly is happiness? This question has been bugging me these past few weeks and it makes this class with this particular topic even more interesting to me.

When I was a kid and was asked what I wanted to be in the future, I wasn't actually sure what to answer. Hence, I always answered to be "successful." From our discussion early this afternoon, I just realized that being "successful" has such a broad scope that wanting to be "successful" may actually be bad. Being "successful" might actually mean that we lose track of what we really want and a direction in life just for the sake of being "successful" in ANY field. I found this amusing yet disturbing. It is amusing in that it made a lot of sense, but also disturbing because honestly, I still don't know what I really want in my life.

So, what constitutes a happy life? More specifically, what will make me happy? I still haven't found that "target" in my life, that thing that will hopefully give me direction after I graduate from the university. I need to know which things I need to hold on to and which ones I need to let go of and this statement stresses me out because I really feel lost right now with doing so many things all over the place (finance, economics, management, etc.)!!

This really is an impossible thought for me right now.
What really counts?

No comments: