Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Th1rteen R3asons Why by Jay Asher


This is the latest novel I've read and I have to say, I'm speechless. The book is actually a young adult novel, but it encapsulates feelings that we all go through. I actually think it may be too deep a read for young adults who might not appreciate the emotions in the book. But then, I think it is a must-read for every teen.

The novel basically follows Clay Jensen listening to some tapes mailed to him anonymously. As it turns out, they were from Hannah Baker, a girl he liked who just committed suicide around 2 weeks back. Who would have thought that he would hear her voice again? In these tapes, she tells the story of the 13 reasons why she decided to end her life.

From the book, I realized that even our small actions - actions that seem mundane - can and will affect those we interact with, even without us knowing it. We may know this subconsciously, but I know that we often neglect our actions. Also, everyone is interconnected; thereby making all our actions interconnected as well. All these can have a snowball effect on people around us or even to ourselves.

For my personal feelings, it was extremely hard to read this novel. Yes, I finished it in record time (around 2 days, but only because I needed to finish it in order to move on and study), but it really was hard. This is the first time that I really needed to stop reading a book because I was about to cry in a public place (MRT); however, at the same time, I immediately went back to reading the book because I can't put it down. The novel just contains a tragic, yet very relatable story. Fortunately, the book ended with a glimmer of hope.

I would recommend this book to anyone, hoping everyone can be a little more aware of their actions and the people around them. Kudos to Mr. Jay Asher! :D

Quotations from the book:
"No one knows for certain how much impact they have on the lives of other people. Oftentimes, we have no clue. Yet we push it just the same."

"You don't know what goes on in anyone's life but your own. And when you mess with one part of a person's life, you're not messing with just that part. Unfortunately, you can't be that precise and selective. When you mess with one part of a person's life, you're messing with their entire life. Everything ... affects everything."

P.S. Let's all be a little more sensitive towards others. Be wary. :)

No comments: