Friday, December 31, 2010

Angels & Demons


As I've said, I am already a fan of Dan Brown's works. Although I have to admit, reading one author's works in succession can take out the suspense and drama of the novel. Like that of John Grisham's works, the storyline of novels sometimes collide and the style of one author is distinct and easily recognizable. But still, this book brought on a lot of excitement. It didn't let me down. :D

Angels & Demons is the first book wherein the character Robert Langdon was introduced. The story follows symbologist Robert Langdon through a mind-blowing adventure to save the Vatican before a new science breakthrough, the antimatter, blows them all up.

In this particular novel, readers can see Robert Langdon as a multi-dimensional character, showing so much emotions, as he did in The Lost Symbol. In comparison, I liked the symbolisms in the The Lost Symbol more than those of Angels & Demons. Nevertheless, I think both novels are equally mesmerizing.

A note on this novel though, it contains a lot of things pertaining to God, or faith in particular. I know some people condemns The Da Vinci Code as being anti-Christ, as well as Angels & Demons I think. But I beg to differ. I think the book is merely letting us think deeper about our faith. One, are we practicing our faith in good conscience? Two, is my faith still anchored to THE Faith? Three, is my faith still anchored in reality? (I'm sorry for too much reflection in this part. I think my theology class is interfering with my thoughts. :D)

Even though I actually read a spoiler on who the antagonist was in the book (stupid me!), I still highly recommend this novel to anyone! It is a great read and it gives you things to reflect on. :D

Favorite quotes from the book:
"Pain is part of growing up. It's how we learn."

"Show me proof there is a God, you say. I say use your telescopes to look to the heavens, and tell me how there could not be a God!"
- Camerlengo Carlo Ventresca

"Science tells me God must exist. My mind tells me I will never understand God. And my heart tells me I am not meant to."
- Vittoria Vetra

No comments: