Monday, May 24, 2010

Books...

After tidying up the books in our room earlier this afternoon, I realized some things. One is that buying and reading all those books seem surreal. Honestly, right after reading some books, I forget their content. I don't know why, but I really have the memory of a gold fish. Although I actually remember how some of those books made me feel after reading them. One perfect example is The Hunchback of Notre dame by Victor Hugo. It was a required reading in high school, but I distinctly remember having a warm feeling right after finishing that book. It is a really good book! Second is that young adult books seemed so beautiful when I was still a young adult. Looking at them a while ago, I felt a pang of waste hit me. I feel like they taught me nothing. Although I think without them, I wouldn't really have this kind of love for books. Third is that, I can't believe I've wasted my time reading some not-so-good novels when in fact, I could've read some classics instead. One thing I really thank for in Uno High School is the way it trained its students to read classics and to actually like them. I can't even believe I got so hooked with Twilight when there are a lot more classic vampire stories or even romance novels out there. Hahahaha... But hey, as was said by someone (I forgot who, I think it was my English teacher back in high school), "Today's pop culture is tomorrow's classics." Although I think The Harry Potter Series would have a better chance at that. Hahahaha...

P.S. I am thankful for all the people who have led me to love reading books, from teachers to classmates, from my brother to strangers. It has given me another dimension of this world to look at and a wilder imagination. Thanks to all! :D

No comments: